Here we will discuss the definition , causes , diagnosis and treatment of Non-Alcoholic fatty liver disease .
Spectrum of liver disease caused by excees fat in the liver
** Steatosis—> Non-Alcoholic Steato-Hepatitis —> Cirrhosis .
What is meant by Steatosis ?
- Steatosis means fat exceeding 5% of the liver Wei ght.
- Steatohepatitis : inflammation associated with steatosis.
- Diabetes mellitus
- Drugs eg. contraceptives & methotrexate.
-Hepatomegaly which may be tender.
- Elevated transferases in NASH.
- Bright liver by ultrasonography.
- Liver biopsy shows excess fat.
1. Treatment of the cause.
2. Avoid fat & diminish carbohydrate in diet.
3. Excess fruits & fresh vegetables.
4. Regular physical exercise.