Definition of Adult Respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)It is a non cardiogenic pulmonary edema leading to acute respiratory failure (Type I respiratory failure). The term wet lung indicates, the presence of increased extravascular lung water.
Causes of ARDS1) Inhalation of irritant gases e.g chlorine, N02, smoke, ozone, high concentration of oxygen.
2) Gm -ve septicemia.
3) Fat, air, amniotic fluid embolism.
4) Pneumocystis carnii, viral pneumonia
5) Uremia, pancreatitis.
6) Immunologic response to host antigens e.g. Good pasture's syndrome, SLE.
7) Narcostic over dose e.g. heroin.
8) Aspiration e.g. gastric contents (Mendelson's syndrome), water with near drowning.
9) Disseminated intravascular coagulopathy (DIC).
- Pathogenesis and Clinical picture of Adult Respiratory distress syndrome ARDS
- Investigations, treatment and complications of Adult respiratory distress syndrome
Please note that we will be notified by e-mail about your comment , So be careful .
Any medical questions will be answered .