This Topic is to discuss the types of viruses that cause inflammation of the Liver " Hepatitis " which are HAV , HBV , HCV , HDV and HEV .
We will illustrate each virus type separately concerning its route of infection,people at Risk , Incubation period , methods of Prevention & Prophylaxis .
Hepatitis A Virus (HAV):
- Infections: fecal-oral.
- People at risk are those living in Or traveling to areas with bad sanitation.
- Mainly in children & young adults.
- Incubation period: 2-8 weeks .
- Acute stage: usually mild.
- Prophylaxis: vaccination or immunoglobulins .
Hepatitis B Virus (HBV):
- Infection: parenteral, sexual & from mother to baby.
- Cases are Sporadic
- People at risk are:
o Haemophiliacs & haemolytic anaemia patients.
o Parenteral drug abusers.
o Homosexuals & prostitutes.
o Doctors & nurses.
o Babies born to HBsAg positive mothers.
o People living in high prevalence areas. - Occurs at any age .
- Incubation period: 1-6 months.
- Acute stage: usually severe.
- May cause chronic infection, especially when infection occurs in infnts
- It is a carcinogenic virus that can cause HCC, even without cirrhosist
- Prophylaxis : immunoGlobulins & vaccination .