Definition: It is inflammation of the skin of the vestibule due to infection by pyogenic organisms or irritant dermatitis, frequently results from persistent nasal discharge characterized by dryness and induration of the skin of the vestibule. Nasal vestibule is the area inside the nostrils that marks the beginning of the nasal passages
Causes of Nasal vestibulitis
- Excessive blowing of the nose.
- Nasal hair plucking.
- Piercings in the nose.
- Picking the nose.
- Chronic runny nose (Allergic or viral).
- Underlying viral infections ( Shingles or Herpes simplex).
- Taking some anti-cancer medications can increase the risk of Nasal vestibulitis (Recent study).
Symptoms and signs
They mainly depend on the cause and severity of the infection, and they are variable as follows:
- Swelling and redness of the outer surface of nostrils.
- Pain and tenderness at the tip of the nose.
- Boils may develop and even furuncles.
- Samll bumps around hair follicles of the nasal vestibule.
Complications of nasal vestibulitis
- Cellulitis: which occurs when the infection spreads under the skin to other areas even to the cheeks and causes fever.
- Cavernous sinus thrombosis: which is the most dangerous complication as the cavernous sinus is directly connected to the brain and can spread the infection there.
Treatment of nasal vestibulitis:
1. Treatment of nasal discharge.
2. Local antibiotic ointment to form a protective barrier to the skin of the vestibule.
3. Systemic antibiotic.